Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Staff Cafe

Every month a different department in the Huamnities college puts on this thing called "Staff Cafe" where they bring treats/breakfast for all of the office staff of the various departments. This month was our turn, and Kate put me in charge before I left for Nationals. I sent out an email asking for ideas, and got little. Last Friday, however, as I am working on a menu and the "activity" that somehow seems required, the bug calls me and begins to tell me all of this stuff she was getting ready for Staff Cafe to hold a Persian New Year thing. At that time I told her that "as the organizer this is news to me." Which promptly spawned an "oh." from her and I thought that was that. I told her that I appreciated her idea, but to hold off on doing anything until Monday when I will have decided what we were going to do.

Monday comes, and I get this great idea from my Mom. And basically it was a dress-up type of thing with a traditional middle eastern breakfast. It worked really well, watching Rebecca running around in my abiya was very amusing, and everyone liked the food. However, back to Monday, the bug came up to me and told me how she was contiueing to work on the Persian Neu Roz thingy. At that point I flat out told her that I didn't like the idea and we weren't going to do it. I did justify myself, I told her that if we had Persian new year that I would want to do Kurdish new year, and then I would want to research other new year's celebrations so that we wouldn't leave anyone out and that would make it too big. She was angry and stomped off in a huff. She later told Kate that she felt she had "stepped on my toes", really...rocket surgeon that one.

But as today was such a wonderful sucess, there is an added aura of accomplishment of letting the bug know that we/ I can handle things just fine without her interfereing.

No comments: