Tuesday, November 09, 2004

I am a wire pulled taut

ready to break.

It is amazing how one thing sets you off, and your patience for anything else is gone. Now I haven't taken anything out on anyone, but then again I am the only one here. And it is important to let you know, that I am not going to cry or anything, just cause someone physical harm. What a good day today would be for JB to visit..

Mushira (head of Lang & Lit) was the Catalyst. She was instructing one of her underlings to do something that was my job. And originally from my point of view, it looked like she was making major decisions about the arabic program that should be handled jointly. So I went to "I". Apparently he thinks that this is some sort of a battle with her, but it isn't...I just want him to make sure that she understands the status quo. Nothing too big, and I don't think that I would be half as mad at her if she hadn't hit me wrong from last week. If we see this as a battle, I won. Chalk one up to me.

But now, I am just on edge. I would really like to take a very long break, maybe actually take my lunch for once. Since Ramadan started, I haven't been doing anything lunch-wise just working straight through and racking up the comp time. I am sure that you are thinking, well, why don't you just take a break. I can't. I am the only one here. Linda and June, who don't normally answer the phones, and most of the time can't hear them anyway, are at lunch. Kate is in a meeting, and probably now at lunch with "I". And Rebecca has been awol for a day or so now, leaving little ol' me alone in the center to answer phones and generally keep the place running.

I keep telling myself just to sit and breath deeply, but it works for about 30 seconds, and then it is gone. When the phone rings I have to steel myself so that I can sound nice and all. Even when people I want to talk to come in (such as the fair Richard/Abdullah who lingered for quite a while attempting to make conversation) I just can't give them the attention that I want because I am as annoyed as I am. On the upside, I have been incredibly productive today, even with the server being down.
Hopefully, someone will come by soon to relieve me before I flip out on some poor unsuspecting person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear take an extra insurance for the flipper !
That will pull you up ........ha ha so do some over time work ...oh no !
Go on smile ! and keep it up with a nice grinnnnn!
Do n't flip flop from the chair,fliptechony my do the trick !
truth

Delal said...

Oh truth....if only I could take overtime. It doesn't work that way here at the wonderful MEC. If you work over your extra hours, you can add it to an informal list and maybe use it like vacation time...but it really isn't a vacation when you have already worked it, is it?