Wednesday, November 10, 2004

2 Unusual phonecalls...

Phone call number 1!

Recently my father has been cracking down on employees who aren't doing their jobs. He's the boss, that is what he is supposed to do. And honestly, he lets people get away with a lot before he does any offical write-ups. So this week he has done several...and whoever they are, boy are they mad, and petty vindictive. Someone called my mom yesterday from a pay-phone, and informed my mom that my father was having an affair with his sister (who apparently is "happily married with 2 kids"), and he advised my mom to make my father leave this woman alone. He wouldn't tell my mom his name or the sister that my father is supposedly messing around with. He just told my mom that my father "would know who it is". Ooohhh. scary. what a bastard. First of all the idea of my father having an affair, especially with an employee, just sends my mom and I into fits of laughter. But the deeper issue that disturbs my mom (and my dad) is that there is someone out there who because they were reprimanded at work, attempts to destroy my family. welcome to small town Utah. at the time my mom was in such shock that she didn't have time to be angry at the person, but if he calls back she is ready for them. as for suspects we have it down to 2. my mom worries that if whoever this person is, is willing to do this for being written up what they would do if say they were fired. back in the 80's, there were a couple instances where disgruntled Kmart employees had taken managers hostage...it was really bad. so as a safety precaution we haven't had our phone number listed for years, but when we moved, my dad decided that it should be alright to have it listed again. nope, guess not.

Phone call number2!!

4:40 am, the phone rings...who could it be? As I am staggering to the phone imagining that someone in my family had died or something...I answer only to find out that it is.......the suspense has to build up.....Erol! my ex-boyfriend and almost fiance from the small village of Koltepe, Turkey! Tah Da! Who else in the world would constantly forget that there is a time difference. But much to my surprise my turkish proved quite functional even that early in the morning, enough to find out that my family and his family were well, tell him all about Chuck's and Marco new children, and let him know that I wasn't sure if I was going to come to Turkey anytime soon. Not bad for a 2 minute phone call. He called back at 5 to ask another question about Chuck, and doublecheck to see if he heard me right that I was fasting, apparently he has forgotten I was Muslim. But jeez, I thought that I was doing well, he hadn't called in a couple of years...it took a couple of years for it to finally get across to him that I wasn't going to marry him, but I thought that it finally took. maybe he was hoping that with a little more time I would come around and run into his arms and say "oh Erol my darling, I should have married you when I was 19 and naive...and then I could have brought you to the US, where you could have gotten a low-level job like a janitor and have me support your lazy ass for the rest of your life!" I am sure that for those who don't know the whole situation, that may comments might seem a little heartless, afterall he is just a poor Kurdish village boy, why couldn't I just love him? The fact is that I did love him, very deeply once. I have a picture of him that lives in the lining of my CD case, every once in a while it falls out and I think of him, however love and marriage in the United States and love and marriage in Turkey is drastically different. and a young girl with a flashing neon "get your green card here" on my forehead, with no family to represent her, in what I found out later to be marriage nogioatiations is not prepared for such a thing, not to mention more personal matters that transpired between us.

however, I will probably write an email to Erol and to abayim Aziz seeing how they are. because even though Erol annoys me, I should try to keep in touch with people more...and yes Hiwa, I will call you, most likely Friday evening your time.

2 comments:

Emmunah said...

Hi Delal: Happy Eid. I used to have a guy from Greece that I went on two date with. I decided I didn't like him anymore and told him I could not go out anymore. Do you know that guy called my mother for two years because he believed sooner or later I would go out with him again. Finally, my mom told him I was engaged....then he stopped calling.

I started a blog dedicated to the Peshmerga women. Have look and let me know if you think I should add anything. Also, I can't get the sidebar to stay all the way up to the top on the right hand side. I have a lot of technical issues to take care of.

Take care, and I always enjoy reading your posts and comments.

hiwa said...

Hi Delal,
I was skimming and suddnely saw hiwa, while just mentioned your ex-bf and stuff so I had a pause but then i found out that it had nothign to do with a Lazy Poor Kurdish Village Boy.
I like realistic people and I think you are one of them, no fabrication, that is great!
i will await a ring then, I wont worry about the time difference at all ( :) )!