Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Day one of classes

So we didn't have Turkish class yesterday, but I have homework to do, which I will probably start trying to do in a few minutes here at work as I seem to have the majority of the fires put out. But then again it is only 9:30.

I went to my LIngusitcs for Educators class yesterday and while the class seems cool, the teacher gives me the absolute creeps. He wears glasses but looks down through them, he doesn't look people in the eye but rather at their feet. He even does the whole shifty eye thing. Part of me wished that he had some sort of visible twitch so that it could explain his strange behavior, but there isn't, he is just weird. He also has an online chat hour...this disturbs me, he already looks like he has very little human contact and plays Everquest way to much, and that chat hour just confirms it for me.
When we came into the class he had us move into a circle, stating that he believed in the whole King Arthur round table thing. Then in order for us all to "get to know one another" he had us read one sentence out of a news article that he had passed out, and state our names and why we were taking the class...this took an hour, and was deathly boring...I did write a poem out of the whole thing, which I will type below, it isn't anything much and it is rough, but I am going to subject you to it anyway....


Day one of the Lingustics for Educators class
the room arranged in a circle
to create a stronger community of students
each of us are floating alone
we speak our names
tell why we are here
and begin the mundane task of getting to know one another
everyone just listens to their own heart beating
their breath rattling in their ears
boredom falls....
"Why did our vocal cords evolve?" he asks
finally a sensible question
he lets out a strangled sob, a wookie war cry
"is it to protect ourselves?"
the overachievers say "yes" and theorize about survival of the fittest
trying to please the instructor
I am silence

what if our speech evolved
to give us something to listen to
or to give us a reason to think out loud?

No comments: