Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wednesday wrap-up

I called my grandpa last night to wish him a Happy Birthday, it was difficult because you can tell how much he has gone downhill. What seemed more disturbing was my grandma, who seemed REALLY out of it. She had to be hospitalized on Monday night because she hasn't been drinking enough water and things were drying up leaving her constaipated and unable to pee. They kept her overnight and released her in time for grandpa's party.

The MEC is starting the first of it's lecture series today with Rami Khouri speaking. Last night he spoke at the Utah chapter of the Committee on Foreign Relations. Mr.3 and I got invited to the dinner and talk. I made an effort to look nice. I curled my hair, makeup heels the whole shabang. One of the new graduate students in the department (who happens to be WAY to much like the bug for comfort) told me that I was a very beautiful woman when I tried to be. Which is a nice compliment but the way she said it was implying that I am not pretty otherwise. So I made a joke about that and no, she was serious. I apparently am only a good-looking woman when I have make-up and heels on. You don't say that to people in polite society. You tell them that they clean up nice, but you don't point out that they are ugly but with makeup you are alright. The comment really bothered me. I think that what really gets to the rub of it is that she didn't realize that she had insulted me first, and when the insult was pointed out she reaffirmed it. But as I said not only is H (that is how we shall distinguish her) alot like the bug, the two of them are firm friends as well. And honestly what can you expect from a person like that? The bug told a pregnant woman that used to work in the office with us that she was too fat! Excuse me, she's pregnant! I just weep for humanity sometimes.

And more news on the Global Voices front...they have started having me cover the Turkish blogs as well, which gives me an excellent chance to work on my language skills...I feel like I am stagnating and this should help. Feedback from other Turks have been most positive on the site.

1 comment:

fethiye said...

Merhaba! thank you for covering my recipe website on the Global Voices!