Thursday, September 16, 2004

A short comment on Minister Berwari's marriage...
Can I say, that I am extremely disappointed in her. She spouts feminist ideals and then agrees to be a third wife (as in there are 2 other wives still living in the same home--I hope that I understood that to be right). Now I have interesting views on polygamy. If the motive behind it is noble---say marrying a widow or a woman who needs to be sheltered in some way---I am alright with it. Now I am not saying that I personally would be the type to go up and be the second or third wife...I plan on being the one and only when that time comes in my life. However this marriage doesn't make any sense. Politically it doesn't seem to help Nesreen, in fact it seems to de-legitimize her and the potential role-model status that she had for young Kurdish women. I can not chalk this up to her trying to be "traditional" in any sense. She ruined a good thing. Now if this marriage is a love marriage, then that is wonderful for her...she should make that known. But this is clearly a case where love and politics should not mix.

No comments: