Saturday, November 13, 2004

how dinner and a day off went

Well on Thursday I left work around 3, and out of curiousity I checked my work email today, and well....I think a lot of the professors are so used to be being there every second of the day that they were a little disappointed. But it was heaven to leave work that early. Even though the weather up the pass was unpredictable (sunny, rain, heavy heavy rain, sleet, snow--a little car slipping action with that one--back to rain and then sunny) I smiled the whole way.

Dinner yesterday was later than what I had wanted it to be. According to my timetable -and yes I am that anal that I made a time table for cooking- I needed to start making the bread by 12:30 at the latest, but with waiting for my mom to get up and dressed and the go to the grocery store with me (parents paid for the food) I didn't get started until one. Disaster wise, it was very minimum...my dad burned some of the kebabs, but that really isn't my fault, I did burn my right hand and I have blisters, but at least I didn't drop anything or cut myself. But since I did burn my hand, I opted out of making the flaky griddle bread with cheese filing because my hand hurt so much, not to mention being behind on the time table. But even with that, we had an abundance of food (yummy leftovers for lunch today!), my father liked the food (he is Mr. "Foreign food, yuck!") in fact he had a second helping of rice--I almost died. So here was the menu--with everything being made from scratch:

-Hummus
-pita bread
-spinach and feta borek
-salad
-this eggy dish with tomatoes and green peppers that I can never remember the name of, but absolutley love
-beef kebabs
-rice pilaf
-rice pudding

I think that was all of it..either way I am the domestic queen!!

Later today, it is off to my dad's store...It's Family Shopping Night at Kmart! This is probably one of the biggest traditions in my family, and the reason why I did the Eid dinner a day early. Now if only I could get that frigging phone card to put my call through to the UK, this weekend would be perfect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Your a good cook Doris" or should I say an excellent cook! The leftovers made not a good lunch but an excellent one! Keep up the good cooking! -Dimari