Thursday, November 18, 2004

Hot Chocolate

The other day, the only reason why I got up and went to work was because I knew that I could get hot chocolate in the office. Silly reason I know, but in the mornings it can be a pretty heated discussion with myself to get moving. This summer JB complained and whined for almost a full week that she was craving hot chocolate. Did she do anything about it? No, just whined. So in an effort to be nice (I was still trying to at that time) I brought in some extra mix that I had from my home. This stuff wasn't the cheap stuff either. Anyway JB was happy and stopped whining. But when I got to the office yesterday, the hot chocolate container was gone. Now when we are out or even if it looks like we are low on something, everyone tells me...in the case of JB she would throw the empty items of whatever she needed on my desk. No one told me that we were out of hot chocolate, so my only conclusion is that someone stole it, most likely JB because she is an excellent scapegoat and also the primary suspect. I was pretty bummed. Today I brought some crappy brand stuff that I had gotten as an xmas gift last year, but I also brought some super nice stuff which is going to live in my desk. JB's daughter still hangs around and it wouldn't surprise me if she pinched it too.

I know that a lot of people were saddened when JB left, because my blog just wasn't that interesting anymore...but never fear! June will fill that spot pretty nicely. Now June has been here forever, and although she has annoyed me on occasion, she has always worked on the other side of the hall and wasn't in my face all the time like JB. But now that she has taken over Beth's job she is becoming a pretty constant annoyance, that I can't shake off. Apparently she is under the impression that I know how to do her job. I don't, and I don't want to know. Beth would come and talk to me about stuff because we were friends. June on the other hand, seems to think that I am her new consultant and gopher. I beg to differ. We had a meeting the other day, June, Kate and I to talk about whose job was what, etc.. All I wanted to know was when June was going to take lunches so that I can work around that. Beth was my back-up on phones and when someone has to always answer the phones, having a back-up becomes very very important. After this meeting I was just filled with dread, because she doesn't seem to be catching on that she has to be accountable in the office.
One of the perks of our job is that if there is a lecture we are sponsoring, we get to go to it, on work time. Last week, because our events coordinator was sick, I had to set up an event about the whole Arafat thing. Now if I do all of the leg-work for setting up this huge panel discussion, I should get to see it, right? Well someone has to answer the phones, and June went without telling me that she was. So I had to stay in the office. I wasn't that upset in the beginning, but the more I thought about it the more annoyed I was. I set it up, I should have gone...but June hasn't gotten it yet, that we have to coordinate these things in the office, we can't just close up shop. Today there is a discussion group that I would like to go to. It isn't often that I want to go to these things..I very rarely go. But this morning I called June to ask if she would cover phones and she announces that she is going as well, fine great...but when was she going to tell anyone else in the office this? She also went to a meeting today and didn't tell anybody, what are we supposed to do if she has students who need to speak to her? Hummm? Maybe these things will be ironed out later but probably not...she and JB have the same personality. I should think of another name to call her, because she seems to have the same sixth sense that JB did when I was writing about her. She has been in here 4 times since I started writing...I think that I will call her "the bug" after the junebug which she seems to like.

Odd suscispion about the bug...I wonder if she drinks on the job. Either that or she uses a lot of mouthwash in the middle of the day. She came in a few minutes ago and wheeuw, I wasn't expecting that, it was very very strong. And it isn't a regular thing, but I have definitely smelt it on at least 2 other occasions.

No comments: