Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Stupid girl that I am...

so working at the wild and wonderful world of "The MEC" you get a lot of calls with absurd questions...well not always absurd, but definitley not something that you would think that I would have to know on the job.
For example

got a call from a gentleman in California attempting to download a Farsi font from the University website, okay this is a new one, and I had no clue, the University web people had no clue, and neither did the Languages and Literature department. Yet I managed to help this guy by figuring out how to download the font from the Microsoft Word website.

call number 2, a middle school in the valley needed an interpreter of Iraqi arabic to help with a parent-teacher problem. I suggested a couple of local students that I knew, and then also suggested the guy call Mushira, head of the languages and lit. department as she has this community project program started where arabic students go to grade schools and help tutor the new refugee students. I refered him to her because I thought that she would be able to at least give him a name or too. Well she called me right afterwards and chewed me out because one, I didn't know who to refer him too (we provide as much information as we can, but that is not part of my job description sweetheart), and two she basically didn't want to handle the call. Big fucking deal.
Throughout the call, all I wanted to do was hang up on her...I didn't as the repercussions would have been awful...however, she really hit a nerve and I cried afterwards...stupid girlie thing that that was. Anyway, Mushira is just an uppity woman who seems to think that since she has a PhD that that automatically makes her better than the rest of the world...which sorry to say, is obviously not the case.

I feel dumb for crying at work, at least it was discreet, and Mushira will never know the effect that it had on me..I am just angry that I let my emotions become that raw.

In other news, did you know that the President of the UAE died? He actually dies on Tuesday but they announced it today. "I" is currently doing a phone interview with Orbitz TV (Arabic but I believed based out of Italy) about the subject. Originally it was supposed to be about the elections today but they had to revise the topics a bit because of the lastest news.

No comments: