Wednesday, January 26, 2005

More lunch stories

So last Monday when I was at lunch with Shibley, the bug stayed in the office and answered phones. As I understood it, she was able to come but didn't because her stomach felt bad, or at least that is what she told me. When we got back she asked what we got to eat, etc..etc..and then made a snide comment to Kate that she had to stay and answer phones..oh boo hoo...I had to miss my class that day because she got to go to the lecture itself and I had to settle watching the web broadcast.
Anyway, today Amb. Edward Perkins was speaking on campus, and of course the bug went to the presentation (she just plans on going to all of them, at least when Beth was still here we worked something out, but June (the bug) just pouts about having to stay in the office if you want to go to something. Well when Linda was coming back from lunch she saw Kate and the bug walking with "I", the ambassador and the President of the University on their way to the luncheon in the ambassador's honor. Linda was funny about it because the bug was estatic that she was getting to go to the lunch and having this chance to hob-nob. She really freaks out over these things, but then again she comes from the social class of dinner parties and country clubs that she has let herself be miserable in her life just to keep that station. (Currently her husband, who she hates and has been married to for 30+ years is in Hong Kong "on business". Well he has been on business for over 2 months now and she has no idea when or if he is coming back. But she does live in a gated community and still plays tennis and bridge with the girls at the club. It makes one sick, it really does.) Back to the lunch...Kate came back about a half hour or so after the talk. Apparently everyone who was invited to the lunch showed and they didn't need any fillers for the table. And while "I" wanted to make everyone squish together to fit the two (an idea that Kate was not going to allow him to entertain) they didn't get to eat lunch with the group at all. Kate was cool with this, but the bug was "disappointed", she did still manage to get a free meal out of the deal by suggesting that they just add another meal to the campus order and they have it take out. But I found it to be a sort of divine justice that she wanted so bad to go to this lunch and lecture and didn't get to go to the lunch...ahh it is vengence for her whining.

speaking of whining, I love Linda to death, but why now is she complaining about not having any room for stuff? Last week she wanted to put one of her TVs from Outreach into the Zucker room, now I have just gotten that all cleaned out and I don't want it junked up again. Kate told her no, but she let her store the TV in the conference room. We would have put it in one of the storage closets but the cart that it is on is too big. Kate told her that the first complaint about space, and that room is tight to begin with, that it had to go back into Outreach's storage closet, where this TV has resided anyway for years. Well this morning there was supposed to be a committee meeting in that room and the TV had to be taken out of it. I brought it back to her storage area and she started to make comments (not anything angry but done in that matter of fact whiny way some people have) that originally the storage closet that all of the old computer stuff was in used to be all Outreach's. I'm sorry, but if it was Outreach's in the beginning, one, why did they lose it in the first place? And two, if they needed the fricking space so badly why did they wait years for someone to clean out the closets. Cleaning all of that out, all of the work that I have done in the storage areas and the conference rooms and such, was not something that was in my job description, but something that I did to make life easier around the center...and now is complaining that they need more space? They now have 3 shelves in the main supply closet, storage that they hadn't had for at least 10 years...geez...what is it with people sometimes?

Now I know that I shouldn't be hard on Linda, after all she has done so much for Mr.3 and I with letting us live in her father's condo and all, and that with her father taking a turn for the worse, but I have little patience for anyone whining about something that they didn't even think of having before now now.

So tonight my Mom is staying with us, she came into town for a meeting and she has agreed to help me clean my old apartment...little does she know how awful it really is, she shouldn't have agreed. Oh well, good for me, not for her.

No comments: