Monday, January 01, 2007

Welcome back to the land of the living...or so I tell myself

Returning from India was much more difficult than I thought that it would be...seeing that India refused to leave me.

You should always be worried when you read travel notices giving strange stomach ailments that people receive while traveling to a certain place "cute names" like "Delhi Belly". Oh, yes, it sounds cute and fun and just something that everyone gets (insert fake houghty touty laugh here)....but it is hell. Much worse than Genghis or Aziz (my resident Turkish parasites that have been with me for several years now)....having diarrhea is one thing.....having diarrhea where you are not digesting anything is scary. Scary such as drinking a red gatorade and passing red liquid in the bathroom for hours afterward. At first I thought that I might be bleeding intestinally...but the reality was worse.

Of course, as soon as I came back from India I was working at Williams-Sonoma...who are absolutely horrible to their holiday workers. Now I have been in the position of having to deal with temporary workers and granted, some of them aren't really the best. And if some have complained about wanting to go home early because they don't want to work, I admit that I have kept them working. However if someone was truly sick, I sent them home. This is not the policy of Williams-Sonoma. In fact they even had me stay extra time even after it was apparent that I was close to death and had asked to go so that I could go and see the doctor. I called in on Christmas Eve because it was the only time that I had to go to the doctor.

Of course, every time I have gone to the doctor after traveling there is this awkward period where they have to tell you that some "discomfort" will happen when you travel to the strange places that I do. Basically it is the "filler lecture" while they silently freak out for not having the slightest clue what is wrong with me. The doctor was going to just let me go before she started to pay attention to me and realized that I wasn't responding like a normal person would----I was really out of it, my family was really concerned. So she gave me an IV. The nurse told us that it would take about 40 minutes to an hour for my body to take the IV. 20 minutes and one power pak IV bag later they realized that it might be wise to give me a second IV. Apparently I was the first person that they had ever seen who needed two before.

What can I say? When I get sick, I get sick.

I was told to "take it easy" for a couple of days...basically- I was bedridden for 3 days. Thankfully I am better now...and I have so much to write and tell people that I am absolutely bursting with stories. I promised India so that is next, but I will have to tell you about Dione's wedding, the question of whether Mr.3 will ever get home (damn the weather...or should it just be damn Denver?), and of course my Mehndi connection at First Night. I would have written sooner, but the new year has made me decide that I need to be the first person with dibs on my computer not my brother or the rest of my family. Jimmy is going through extreme MySpace withdrawls today...but I don't care....he doesn't share well, why should I?

No comments: