Thursday, January 03, 2008

Glad for a couple of things

Saw this article today about creditors raising the interest rates on defaults to 30%! That is just plain scary! And I know that I should not be glad for the bankruptcy...but in the current conditions as the economy is in now, I am very happy that I operate on a cash only basis.
I am also glad that I rent. I do want to own a house one day and I know that I pay rent that is way way too high...but at least I don't have to worry about things like mowing the lawn or shoveling the sidewalk or having to pay for the plumber when the pipes break or having to deal with the crazy mortgage market right now.
I'm glad that I have had the bankruptcy because I think that I appreciate money more. I am making more money now as a consequence, and I think that it is directly due to my inability to obtain credit to live off of. It was so easy to do that and it put me into a deep deep hole.
I did, last night, make a list of things that I need to work to save up for. The list is fairly varied with the short term and the long...things like a new computer, car repairs, a couch, to pay off the washer/dryer...and then the longer term items like a house down-payment, a new car, and of course a baby. I know saving up for a baby is an odd thing to say, but I want to have a child one day, and I will do that with or without my husband. I would prefer him to be the father of course (and this would be the case even if we do get a divorce). It has always been important to me to be a mother...and I need to make sure that I am as financially secure as I can be before that happens. So I have a lot of work to do.

No comments: